Industry-based projects provide students with unique real-world skills and experience, whilst exposing business professionals to the up-and-coming data science talent in WA.
Students benefit from industry-led projects as they have the opportunity to work on real-world problems, gain valuable exposure to industry and company-specific project management, as well having a tangible application for the technical skills they are learning via their studies.
But the rewards extend beyond that of the student, with organisations experiencing fantastic outcomes and benefits, including:
- Technical resources dedicated to solving a technical problem at a lower (or no) cost.
- Having a team member dedicated to one challenge results in faster results for the company
- Make progress on lower priority projects without diluting in-house resources
- An opportunity to assess the quality of students for prospective hiring
- Students bring a fresh perspective and a new way of looking at and solving problems
- Strengthen industry-academic relationships
University students are encouraged to undertake industry-based projects to gain workplace skills, both technical and professional skills, to adequately prepare them for the workforce.
Each WA university offers different types of industry-led project opportunities. You can view the University offerings below.