TAKING DATA SCIENCE TO THE REGIONS
The WA Data Science Innovation Hub (WADSIH) is delivering a Regional Upskilling Programme for SMEs and startups throughout regional Western Australia. The objective of the programme is to facilitate the growth of the data science sector in regional WA through upskilling, promotion and collaboration.
WADSIH took the programme to the Midwest in October 2021, after it was launched in Kalgoorlie earlier in the year. WADSIH was excited to visit Geraldton and support the growth and innovation of local businesses through the application of data science. We were pleased to partner with the Midwest Development Commission, Midwest Research and Development Network and the Geraldton Universities Centre who supported the delivery of our Midwest programme.
WADSIH, with the support of the Midwest Development Commission, orchestrated an industry roundtable so that we can better understand the needs, wants and current capabilities of the Geraldton business community. We had 13 key industry representatives from the region who shared insights into the sectors that are embracing emerging technologies, the barriers preventing the uptake of data science in the region, and the challenges being faced by the Geraldton workforce and future workforce.
WADSIH also delivered a data science upskilling workshop for eight attendees from different backgrounds and occupational roles from organisations within the Geraldton community.
The aim of the upskilling session was to help attendees:
- Learn more about data analysis/science and the benefits it can unlock for their business;
- Gain an insight into how other WA businesses are using data-driven projects to drive business value; and
- Discover how they can run their own data-driven project.
The workshop covered:
- Part 1: Data Basics
- Part 2: Case Studies & Trends: How WA businesses are using data to drive business value
- Part 3: Running your own data-driven project
Participant feedback was positive, and WADSIH made some fantastic connections in the region, which will assist with future engagement and delivery in the Midwest.
- Explore upskilling opportunities for existing Mid West workforce delivered in partnership with the Geraldton Universities Centre (GUC).
- Continue to engage with SMEs in the Mid West to provide advice and promote data science opportunities. Leverage existing regional initiatives i.e. the Mid West Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Business After Hours series.
- Support SMEs in the Mid West to access data science specialists via work placements, internships, post-graduate research projects, collaborations with research institutes or otherwise.
- Explore opportunities to partner with other organisations to promote data science as a career to high school students, including showcasing data scientists and students as mentors.