TAKING DATA SCIENCE TO THE REGIONS
WA Data Science Innovation Hub (WADSIH) is delivering a Regional Upskilling Programme for SMEs and startups throughout regional Western Australia. The objective of the program is to facilitate the growth of the data science sector in regional WA through upskilling, promotion and collaboration.
The programme was piloted in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, through the delivery of a free, full-day training session on Data Science Basics for business.
WADSIH, supported by the Goldfields-Esperance Development Commission (GEDC) and the WA School of Mines (WASM), delivered a data science upskiling workshop for seven attendees from different backgrounds and occupational roles, and from a vast range of organisations and sectors within the Kalgoorlie community.
The aim of the upskilling session was to help attendees:
• Learn more about data analysis/science and the benefits it can unlock for their business;
• Gain an insight into how other WA businesses are using data-driven projects to drive business value; and
• Discover how they can run their own data-driven project.
The workshop covered:
• Part 1: Data Basics
• Part 2: Case Studies & Trends: How WA businesses are using data to drive business value
• Part 3: Running your own data-driven project
Participant feedback was positive, and WADSIH made some fantastic connections in the region, which will assist with future engagement and delivery in Kalgoorlie.
The Kalgoorlie pilot was an important opportunity to gain insights that will inform planning for the ongoing delivery of the Regional Upskilling Programme
WADSIH will be running the Regional Upskilling Programme in the Midwest (Geraldton) and Southwest (Bunbury and Albany) during September and October 2021.
As informed by learnings from the pilot, regional visits will include the following:
- Training: How to Run a Data-Driven Project
- Advisory Service: one-on-one advisory service to regionally based small businesses and start-ups. This will be delivered free of charge with each business able to book a 30 or 60 min session with a WADSIH team member.
- Local Stakeholder Roundtable: WADSIH will run a stakeholder roundtable with key local businesses, development organisations etc. to better understand the needs and opportunities in each location. This will inform future programs and activities.